Home Quicklinks UserCP New Posts Memberlist Calendar Videos Gallery Articles Logout

Go Back   California Fishing - Hookup Sportfishing > Southern California Saltwater Fishing > Southern California Saltwater Reports

Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools

The Wedge
06-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Yuckster is
: 267
The Wedge

After sitting at Sunset Beach waiting for the wind to die for an hour, I headed to Newport to see if there was anything going on a the Jetty. I fished on the channel side for an hour or so and got nothing. By this time the wind had died down so I tried to fish from the beach on the Wedge side. I set up my 9' spinning rig w/ a 2 oz triangle sinker and some squid and set it in the rocks while I tried for some surf perch. Just as I was about to pack up I look over and see my 9' doing the bendo. I ran over and hauled in a nice little shovel nose. This was my first. My wife who has never seen anything like it got a kick out of it. That was all I got today but it was tough fishing with the wind and surf the way it was. I can't wait to take another shot maybe at a safer location that the Wedge.
Attached Thumbnails
The Wedge-shovnose1.jpg  

06-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

Local Rookie is
: 3,289
That's a pretty good size shovel nose. Yeah, the wind and sruf are pretty heinous up in Ventura county too.

06-04-2005, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nick Velvet is
: 3,529
Great report. Much better day than I had. Good job on the shovelnose. Your right I just missed you down at Sunset. We will have to "hook up" sometime when its a better day. By the way have you ever dived the "Wedge" for bugs at night? Great place unless you see someone coming out of the water as I have which means all the bugs have been scared back into there holes.

06-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

Wahoo! is
: 6,671
Nice shovelnose! Thanks for the report!