Home Quicklinks UserCP New Posts Memberlist Calendar Videos Gallery Articles Logout

Go Back   California Fishing - Hookup Sportfishing > Southern California Saltwater Fishing > Southern California Saltwater Message Board

Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools

Ventura County Surf Fishing Locations!!!
07-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
New User

THE HITMAN is
: 1
Ventura County Surf Fishing Locations!!!

Where the hell are they guys? I live in Camarillo and am always around the local harbors (Port Hueneme, Channel Islands Harbor) Does anyone know of some good spots in those areas? Or do I simply have to cruise South on 1 to find the fish?

07-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

PlatinumHooks is
: 11,632
:
Where the hell are they guys? I live in Camarillo and am always around the local harbors (Port Hueneme, Channel Islands Harbor) Does anyone know of some good spots in those areas? Or do I simply have to cruise South on 1 to find the fish?

Hitman, Nice to see another VTA Co. member on the boards.

??? Um, Ventura county had some of the most renowned surf fishing locatons in California and especially some of the most popular in SO Cal.

These are some of the more popular and productive locations:

a.) 5th Street at OXnard Shores (Oxnard)

b.) Santa Clara River Mouth (Ox / Vent)

c.) Arnolds Rd. (Oxnard /Hueneme)

d.) Leo Carillo State Beach (just south of Point Mugu)

e.) Power plant (Oxnard)

f.) Rincon state beach (just north of Ventura on PCH/101fwy)

g.) Hollywood Beach Flats (Oxnard - behind the Rudder Room on Hollywood Beach)

if you're planning a day out on the surf ...PM me and I might join you!

07-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
New User

Akaikube is
: 9
You might check out Halijedi's ost about 4 below this one. He lists just about all of the locations.
Luck
Dennis

07-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
New User

Akaikube is
: 9
It's called So Cal Surf fishing Locations - sorry bout that

07-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

El Kabong is
: 614
Welcome to the board, glad to have you. Good luck on the surf fishing. Caught my first corbina today. Big fun.

07-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

YakityYak is
: 1,083
Welcome to the board. Plenty of spots out here.

Teach a kid fishing and conservation.

07-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

Wahoo! is
: 6,671
If you're in the Channel Islands harbor, check out the area in front of the Rudder Room as well as the end of the jetties. I've caught lots of good fish off those spots including a big batray with a 51 inch wingspan next to the rudder room!

07-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

halijedi is
: 649
First and foremost, you should have a game plan as to what type of fish(s) you would like to target and how you plan on targeting them. Since the water temps are above average, you should be leaning towards targeting fish that thrive in warmer water.

There are several short jetties just south of the Ventura Pier. Try dropshotting 3" plastics for halibut and bigger BSP and YFC. If the halibut are running a bit larger, than try using a 5" plastic.

You can try various smaller swimbaits and Gulp! products (especially if the fishing is slow). Dropshot 2-3" Gulp Shrimp and 3" smelt and C-Rig camo sandworms for all the other smaller fish, such as perch and croakers. Check the tides and fish them accordingly.

If you need sand crabs, try checking in inches of water near rocks and other large structures (especially pier pilings).

07-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

PlatinumHooks is
: 11,632
:

Hitman,

Best thing to do is get with some of your VTA Co. bretheren who know the area well, and know the grains of sand by their names (lol). I've got my "spots" and are more than willing to spend a day on the sand and show you the Hot Spots (various locations if desired). I'm sure there's a handful of VTA Co. members who'd join in for a day of surf fishing cameraderie. PM me if you'd like the info and want to get together to fish.