Home Quicklinks UserCP New Posts Memberlist Calendar Videos Gallery Articles Logout

Go Back   California Fishing - Hookup Sportfishing > Southern California Saltwater Fishing > Southern California Saltwater Message Board

Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools

Live Sardines/Anchovies on Land??
05-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User

rossv82 is
: 1
Talking Live Sardines/Anchovies on Land??

I live in Orange County near the Huntington Beach area and wanted to find somewhere that sells live bait (Anchovies/Sardines) without having to cruise up on a boat in the middle of the water. Even if it's a bit of a drive, I would love to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Ross

05-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

SoCalAngler is
: 764
No place I know of sells live saltwater bait fish other than bait barges out in the water.

05-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

Wahoo! is
: 6,671
You can just walk on to some of the bait barges in the harbor. I think at the very least MDR and Channel Islands harbors have bait docks you can just walk on to and pick up some bait.

05-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

NulodPBall is
: 7,275
A LOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago you used to be able to buy live bait off of some piers like Belmont and some bait shops near the ocean, but that dried up around about the time the barges like the Annie B. disappeared.

Your best bet is to make your own bait...either sabiki rigs, minnow traps or whatnot, but read the regs before you buy a net and get the largest minnow trap you can buy or make and get one of those little areator kits from Bass Pro Shops or Walmart that oxyegenates the water...the fish will die fairly quickly...try using a round container. Use bread as your attractant and you probably should be on the slack tide, anywhere you can sneak onto a dock or right next to the water, maybe off some rocks or a public area.

Making bait is harder than it looks until you get the hang of it...even if they are all schooled up only one foot below you...going at night with a battery powered light helps.

"Helfin sie mir!"

05-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

NulodPBall is
: 7,275
:
You can just walk on to some of the bait barges in the harbor. I think at the very least MDR and Channel Islands harbors have bait docks you can just walk on to and pick up some bait.
===

LOL Jon, that's a bit of a drive for him...the closest that I know of for him to even approach is probably in Newport harbor. He can drop a longboard (you can get those floating bait buckets) in the water near the harbor entrance and paddle over (or a kayak or even a float tube). If he's lucky enough he can call them and see if they'll motor over to the rocks with some bait...I don't believe John is there anymore, but if they're manning the bait receivers, they start early, and leave whenever business slows down...might be as early as 10am they shut down.

Nacho over by the LB breakwater lives on the barge with his 1 1/2 dogs and usually a cousin in the busy season...but that's a mile out.

Heck, now that I think of it in San Diego you have to have a boat to get bait and if you're in the lineup late, you wait...just don't be behind more than one party boat...

"Helfin sie mir!"

05-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

johnlgarrison is
: 1,114
You can make a floating bait bucket by drilling a bunch of 1/4" holes in a 5 gallon bucket and attach a foam pool toy around the top with zip ties. Check your local doughnut shop they will sell you a 5 gallon bucket for about a buck. Like nulopball said a sabiki rig works great. You can catch the bait that inhabit the waters you are fishing. If you see a Pool guy they have great buckets that have screw top lids. Good luck.

05-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Charter Member

Jersey Guy is
: 2,282
I had half a 55 gallon drum in the back of my truck that I used to transport live bait in when I went surf fishing. It had an elaborate pump system that I plugged into the cigarette lighter. I caught my own bait(bunker and herring) and kept them in a pen behind the tackle shop at the marina. The pen was six feet long four feet wide, six feet deep. It was made of pvc and netting with a padlocked hinged door on top. When I wanted to go fishing I filled up the tank in the back of my truck, took some 1-2 lb live baits out of my pen and went fishing. I caught a hell of alot of striped bass livelining off the jetties using this system. those were the days.

05-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

dodoman is
: 24,590
:
I had half a 55 gallon drum in the back of my truck that I used to transport live bait in when I went surf fishing. It had an elaborate pump system that I plugged into the cigarette lighter. I caught my own bait(bunker and herring) and kept them in a pen behind the tackle shop at the marina. The pen was six feet long four feet wide, six feet deep. It was made of pvc and netting with a padlocked hinged door on top. When I wanted to go fishing I filled up the tank in the back of my truck, took some 1-2 lb live baits out of my pen and went fishing. I caught a hell of alot of striped bass livelining off the jetties using this system. those were the days.
i wish we could do that here.