Home Quicklinks UserCP New Posts Memberlist Calendar Videos Gallery Articles Logout

Go Back   California Fishing - Hookup Sportfishing > Southern California Freshwater Fishing > Southern California Freshwater Reports

Advertisements

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools

local pay lake...
02-26-2010, 06:59 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)

I M HOOKED is
: 809
local pay lake...

Our instructor sent us home early yesterday, so I headed out next door to the local park to wet my lines. I took 3 poles. One with a sliding sinker and treble, one a drop shot and one straight jig. Got to the park at 930, only 10 people there. I put two gulp eggs and a mill worm on the treble and soaked it, then grabbed my drop shot and hooked a gulp worm. I landed 11 bows before noon. All of them small dgf stockers, but really enjoyed catching these because they fought like the fish that were twice there size from the lassen stock. Twice I had to drop my pole to grab my bait rod with the gulp eggs, and several times I had to ignore the tugs on my bait rod because I had a fish on my drop shot. My jigs never hit the water. Almost everyone on the lake came to my hole and yet only one other guy caught any fish. An older gentlemen on the dock near me wasnt really happy I was catching fish and he wasnt, but he was happy that I filled his stringer with the 4 15 and 16 inchers for his smoker. The only difference between me and the rest of the crowd around me yesterday was I used a florocarbon line. Last week I took my 6000 yd spool of izor down to BPS to get my reels filled. I was interested with all the talk of floro to try it but the guy who filled my reels told me I would be waisting my money buying the stuff as all the lakes around here he said were stained or muddy from the rains. He said floro is worthless in stained or muddy water, but I insisted he fill up my 2 spare spools with floro so I just bought whatever off the shelf not knowing anything about the stuff. I ended up with pline 2#. I didnt have any line twists but found that the line was very brittle. I broke off twice in random spots, nowhere near the rig setup. The breaks were very clean like I had cut it with scissors. ??? Anyways I had a good few hours out on the lake, and from reading the floro thread just posted I will try a new brand to fill up my spare spools with soon.

02-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

Badfish2 is
: 14,699
Just don't let the DFG catch you catching and releasing with a barb'd bait hook while using those gulp eggs. Use a single hook "bait holder hook" and shave the barb off .. That's what I do. Nice job on the fish though. And BTW, if the bait bite is good...reel that bad boy in and start throwing lures. There's a good chance if the bait bite is poppin' the lure bite could be twice as good. If not, just go back to bait

02-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I M HOOKED is
:
Just don't let the DFG catch you catching and releasing with a barb'd bait hook while using those gulp eggs. Use a single hook "bait holder hook" and shave the barb off .. That's what I do. Nice job on the fish though. And BTW, if the bait bite is good...reel that bad boy in and start throwing lures. There's a good chance if the bait bite is poppin' the lure bite could be twice as good. If not, just go back to bait
Wow thanks. I did not know that it was illegal to release fish caught with a barbed hook. Ill be off to the vise to gring some of these barbs off tonight.

02-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

IncredibleHuck is
: 3,921
:
Wow thanks. I did not know that it was illegal to release fish caught with a barbed hook. Ill be off to the vise to gring some of these barbs off tonight.
I don't know if it's illegal, more like frowned upon like master ba!ting on an airplane! LOL

If the fish are hooked deep, cut the line as close as you can to the hook and the fish will pass the hook eventually. Just make sure that the line isn't coming out of his mouth.

BF2, just for my own clarification here. I've never seen the DFG ticket for something like that, scoldings yes, tickets no. Is it in the regs? Thanks buddy.

02-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

IncredibleHuck is
: 3,921
:
Our instructor sent us home early yesterday, so I headed out next door to the local park to wet my lines. I took 3 poles. One with a sliding sinker and treble, one a drop shot and one straight jig. Got to the park at 930, only 10 people there. I put two gulp eggs and a mill worm on the treble and soaked it, then grabbed my drop shot and hooked a gulp worm. I landed 11 bows before noon. All of them small dgf stockers, but really enjoyed catching these because they fought like the fish that were twice there size from the lassen stock. Twice I had to drop my pole to grab my bait rod with the gulp eggs, and several times I had to ignore the tugs on my bait rod because I had a fish on my drop shot. My jigs never hit the water. Almost everyone on the lake came to my hole and yet only one other guy caught any fish. An older gentlemen on the dock near me wasnt really happy I was catching fish and he wasnt, but he was happy that I filled his stringer with the 4 15 and 16 inchers for his smoker. The only difference between me and the rest of the crowd around me yesterday was I used a florocarbon line. Last week I took my 6000 yd spool of izor down to BPS to get my reels filled. I was interested with all the talk of floro to try it but the guy who filled my reels told me I would be waisting my money buying the stuff as all the lakes around here he said were stained or muddy from the rains. He said floro is worthless in stained or muddy water, but I insisted he fill up my 2 spare spools with floro so I just bought whatever off the shelf not knowing anything about the stuff. I ended up with pline 2#. I didnt have any line twists but found that the line was very brittle. I broke off twice in random spots, nowhere near the rig setup. The breaks were very clean like I had cut it with scissors. ??? Anyways I had a good few hours out on the lake, and from reading the floro thread just posted I will try a new brand to fill up my spare spools with soon.
Which lake was was the hot lake? I'm thinking #2.

02-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

seal is
: 3,635
No regs on barbless unless in a special regulations area, maybe BF2 was just talking about the DFG getting on your case like you said.

Interesting about the PLINE comment with it being brittle? I switched from brand to brand and PLINE is what I have concluded to be best for me. I haven't noticed the brittle issue or break offs, but I don't use 2# test either on PLINE. Maybe that's it since I haven't switched over to PLINE on my trout rigs yet. I think the BPS guy is generally correct right now though, water stained in most lakes, but not all lakes.

02-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I M HOOKED is
:
Which lake was was the hot lake? I'm thinking #2.
yeah middle lake, mostly in the cove on the sandy side just around the bend

02-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I M HOOKED is
:
No regs on barbless unless in a special regulations area, maybe BF2 was just talking about the DFG getting on your case like you said.

Interesting about the PLINE comment with it being brittle? I switched from brand to brand and PLINE is what I have concluded to be best for me. I haven't noticed the brittle issue or break offs, but I don't use 2# test either on PLINE. Maybe that's it since I haven't switched over to PLINE on my trout rigs yet. I think the BPS guy is generally correct right now though, water stained in most lakes, but not all lakes.
i dont know either. the line didnt look frayed, more like a clean cutat a section abot 15yrds down my line from the hook

02-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

FishSlayer is
: 12,632

on Twitter- @fishslayer01

Facebook- Fishslayer Ripper

02-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

NulodPBall is
: 7,272
:
i dont know either. the line didnt look frayed, more like a clean cutat a section abot 15yrds down my line from the hook
===
I think alot of the line condition depends on how old the line is...I've noticed that if I break out an old spool of 2# and tug on it to test it, the older spool will generally break easier and when I notice that, I change out that spool.

That said, yes, brands will differ as to characteristics...each company has the flouro made according to their chemical recipe.

Oh, and good job on the fish...I think it was CST that insisted that flouro didn't matter for trout, then proceeded to learn that it did.

"Helfin sie mir!"

02-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

I M HOOKED is
:
yeah yeah I know. Like the one that got away story. Last time I took the camera, mesuring tape and dig. scale all hyped and ready to show off and got skunked. I didnt expect to have a good day on thurs, so I left all that at home. Go figure. Now I keep that stuff in my backpack no matter what.

02-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

I M HOOKED is
:
BTY the water was stained at that lake thurs. It wasnt muddy like that particular lake usually is. I dont think the cinvisibility of the line was an issue as much as the feel that day. I was able to feel and set the hook on light bumps better with the floro. I could be wrong. Im not a pro just a guy who likes to try new things out when I fish before resorting back to what I already know.