Home Quicklinks UserCP New Posts Memberlist Calendar Videos Gallery Articles Logout

Go Back   California Fishing - Hookup Sportfishing > Southern California Freshwater Fishing > Southern California Freshwater Message Board

Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools

Question for the bass guys...
02-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Charter Member

Jay_In_SouthBay is
: 1,784
Question for the bass guys...

For me, topwater bites are the best. I have trouble sleeping in the summer because I just keep invisioning a big bass kicking the crap out of my topwater lures. This prompted me to ask this question. What is you favorite topwater lure and why?
I have a few favorites myself. Fisrt is the Zara Spook. I love walking it slow across the top of the water as the anticipation builds up at each zig and zag. when that bass pops up on it all of my adrenaline rushes through my body instantly.
Second would be a popper. These seem to be better morning baits than afternoon baits, but the strikes that I get on these seem to always be from bruiser sized bass.
My third would be the frog. Working these close to thules or across grass seem to always bring at least one bass to the surface. Most of these are weedless so tossing them a little too far never seems to be a problem.
So what about you guys? The season is approaching rapidly and I am wondering what the other guys are using......

02-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

SerialFisher is
: 1,156
[QUOTE=Jay_In_SouthBay;277417]when that bass pops up on it all of my adrenaline rushes through my body instantly.
Sounds like that bass ain't the only thing that's "poppin up" is it? lol
But seriously, can't wait for top water. Want to put my shell cracker to good use. Then it will be my favorite =]

02-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Charter Member

Jay_In_SouthBay is
I didn't mention this one in the above post, but my dad has a lure that is older than me. It is a Jitterbug. They still make them but this one is older than dirt. I took it with me to the park one day and nailed 4 bass in half an hour. I don't use it often as it isn't mine but it is fun.

02-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

dodoman is
: 24,590
i know a good lake for them crackers.
wait till june/ july.
you will not believe your eye.
i,ll take you guys to the dodohole.
there,s only been a few guys to witness this secret location.

02-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Charter Member

Jay_In_SouthBay is
Just gotta make sure the probation officer is on board with the arrangemnts,,,,

02-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

SerialFisher is
: 1,156
Good stuff.

02-11-2011, 02:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

surfer is
: 114
:
I didn't mention this one in the above post, but my dad has a lure that is older than me. It is a Jitterbug. They still make them but this one is older than dirt. I took it with me to the park one day and nailed 4 bass in half an hour. I don't use it often as it isn't mine but it is fun.
Last time I went to Sports Authority the guy working the fishing section swore by the jitterbug and I thought he was blowing smoke up my ###. I might need to pic one up now.
Where you at fuj? Hollar.
---------------------------------------------------
"Never give up!"--Michael Iaconelli

02-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Trial and Error is
: 1,005
I havent caught that many fish on top water but the strikes alone make up for the time throwing it. I like throwing a fire tiger popper.

I have caught a few fish by accident when reeling in my weed tangled lure.

Both times the tangled mess was waking on its way in and caused the bass to slap at the wad of weeds.

02-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bman is
: 232
Jay,

Fishing plastics, whether its flylining or dropshot is a favorite of mine. It has produced well for me, but it can be tough at times.

I'd say that I like your first two choices in the same order too, especially at your normal spot. I've never really tried the frog enough to have an opinion.

One thing that always surprised me about the Zara Spook is what might slam those lures. I've caught dinks all the way up to 7 pounders on them.

I've also had fair luck in the summer using Spinnerbaits too...Although during the summer, it is tougher to work them because of the extra vegetation.

There is also another favorite I have, but I will have to plead the 5th on that one.

BTW, WHo is that new Surfer guy? lol

brian

02-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Charter Member

Jay_In_SouthBay is
:
Last time I went to Sports Authority the guy working the fishing section swore by the jitterbug and I thought he was blowing smoke up my ###. I might need to pic one up now.
LOVE the avatar and quote!

02-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

seal is
: 3,635
My topwater addiction is serious. The problem is they come up later here in Silverwood so I have to wait a little longer.

I hope for warmer water temps this year to get them up sooner and more consistantly the last couple years have been a little weak on the top.

02-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Charter Member

Jay_In_SouthBay is
:
My topwater addiction is serious. The problem is they come up later here in Silverwood so I have to wait a little longer.

I hope for warmer water temps this year to get them up sooner and more consistantly the last couple years have been a little weak on the top.
Why not try smaller lakes early season then move back to your lake once it warms up. The smaller lakes warm up so much fast and everything starts earlier. You could do that like once a week until your topwater bite starts....

02-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Charter Member

BassnMan Mike is
: 1,738
Nothing like a top water bite. Thats what originally got my hooked on bass fishing.

My favorite top water baits would have to be a Wakebait, a Buzzbait, a Sammy, a Rico and a Frog when there is heavy vegetation.

I recently picked up the Lunker Punker and I'm hoping that it will be included in the above list, only time will tell.

02-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

lagunaCOCONUT is
: 177
I love Topwater! One of the most exciting and explosive tactics for sure! My favorite baits are Sammy's. I love those things! Second would be Buzzbaits! Especially thrown against a sun setting horizon in the hot days of summer, and watching and listening to that buzzbait in silhouette. Sometimes your buzzbait just disappears and other times, your buzzbait is knocked through the air.. wow gotta love TOPWATER!

02-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Charter Member

Jay_In_SouthBay is
I can't freakin wait til summer. The weather is shaping up to be WAYYYYYYY better than last year. Hopefully we will get some good Pelagic fishing, a good Bass spawn, and a hot topwater bite! Last year blew monkey balls. This year had better make up for it!