Home Quicklinks UserCP New Posts Memberlist Calendar Videos Gallery Articles Logout

Go Back   California Fishing - Hookup Sportfishing > Southern California Freshwater Fishing > Freshwater Tips and Tactics

Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools

Berkley Mice Tail Rigging???
03-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User

Throck22 is
: 39
Berkley Mice Tail Rigging???

Can anybody give me advice on how to rig the new Berkley mice tails the most efficient way. I tryed carolina rigging them and drop shotting them but i know theres a better way. Any help would be much appreciated!!

03-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

FishSlayer is
: 12,621
When I fished them I was splitshoting them using a #10 aberdeen hook (my normal trout worm setup) with the "egg" at the eye of the hook, found out the hard way that the "egg" gets in the way of the point of the hook and will cause missed fish. Fished them again only this time I inserted the hook from the other end away from the "egg" and it seemed to work just fine.

I know I have seen guys at LNL dropshoting them but I dont know exactly where they put the hook.

on Twitter- @fishslayer01

Facebook- Fishslayer Ripper

03-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
New User

Throck22 is
:
When I fished them I was splitshoting them using a #10 aberdeen hook (my normal trout worm setup) with the "egg" at the eye of the hook, found out the hard way that the "egg" gets in the way of the point of the hook and will cause missed fish. Fished them again only this time I inserted the hook from the other end away from the "egg" and it seemed to work just fine.

I know I have seen guys at LNL dropshoting them but I dont know exactly where they put the hook.
Interesting....Well ill give it a shot the only thing about splitshotting them is that i cant feel the bites as well as if they were Carolina rigged. But thanks for the info bro.

03-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

FishSlayer is
: 12,621
Carolina rigged will work as well, just use the "egg" part of the worm as the tail instead of the head.

on Twitter- @fishslayer01

Facebook- Fishslayer Ripper

03-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

sambaboy is
: 463
Fishslayer,you threading worm into hook also? or just egg?? dude recomended thru egg only..I was running into same problem with hook set when I riggin em with egg @ eyelet.

03-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
New User

Throck22 is
:
Fishslayer,you threading worm into hook also? or just egg?? dude recomended thru egg only..I was running into same problem with hook set when I riggin em with egg @ eyelet.
The last time i went trout fishing with those i carolina rigged them 18" leader with four pound test. And i would just hook them just like you do drop shot #4 mosquito hook just in and out right thru the egg. Didnt get snagged and had no problem with hook sets. I caught five trout and one of them was almost five pounds. I placed fifth place in the tournament at irvine. I was just hoping someone knew the best way to fish them.

Last edited by Throck22; 03-27-2011 at 07:41 PM.

03-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

thefarmer is
: 483
i always use a #8 or 10 owner mosquito hook for that setup. put the egg @ the eye of the hook and thread on trout worm. i pinch off a bit of the tail after its on the hook. i use dropshot weights and i tend to not get snagged as often. i'll adjust my leader length from 18-36"

03-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
New User

Throck22 is
Thanks for the tips