Home Quicklinks UserCP New Posts Memberlist Calendar Videos Gallery Articles Logout

Go Back   California Fishing - Hookup Sportfishing > Southern California Freshwater Fishing > Freshwater Tips and Tactics

Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools

HUSF, Need Advice On How To Rig A Nightcrawler
03-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

fishin4whatever is
: 79
HUSF, Need Advice On How To Rig A Nightcrawler

I typically fish lures for a specific species but with my second rod I like to soak a nightcrawler to see what I can get since almost everything will eat a crawler. What have you all found is the best way to hook them? Through the middle? Through the tail? Through the head? Do you let the point of the hook protrude through the worm or leave it hidden? Do you use the whole worm? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

03-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

fishtaco is
: 10,122
Why use just one..
when you can attach 3 ?
garlic flavor works best

fish love them in a group

good luck

Last edited by fishtaco; 03-19-2009 at 08:17 AM.

03-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
cst
HUSF Staff

cst is
: 10,728
Depends on what you're trying to do. I'd always use a single hook and, depending on the species, I'd hook it through the nose, thread it through the nose or hook it through the middle.

03-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

Badfish2 is
: 14,700
I go once through the middle.. then again about 1/4 inch up.. if that's not holding well.. (depends on who makes the worm) I go through the worm once, then slide it toward the top of the hook, and then wrap it around the shank of the hook a few times then hook once again.. I inflate them so I try not to do too much damage to the worm or it won't hold air

03-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
cst
HUSF Staff

cst is
: 10,728
Changed the all caps in the title to title case.

03-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

fishin4whatever is
: 79
Badfish, no one makes the worm. I'm refering to live nightcrawlers. Would you still do the same? Do you all find that it's best to have a lot of the tip of the hook exposed? CST, sorry about the all caps in the title. I was posting from my cellphone and after I typed HUSF in capslock it never switched back to lowercase. I've never tried hooking through the middle but I am thinking of trying it because the worms get bit off quite a bit. Like I said, I'm usually fishing with lures and plastics with my other pole so I'm not too quick to set the hook.

03-19-2009, 01:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

Badfish2 is
:
Badfish, no one makes the worm. I'm refering to live nightcrawlers. Would you still do the same? Do you all find that it's best to have a lot of the tip of the hook exposed? CST, sorry about the all caps in the title. I was posting from my cellphone and after I typed HUSF in capslock it never switched back to lowercase. I've never tried hooking through the middle but I am thinking of trying it because the worms get bit off quite a bit. Like I said, I'm usually fishing with lures and plastics with my other pole so I'm not too quick to set the hook.
when I say "who makes the worm" I mean, who's doing the worm growing, there are differnt companies that grow/raise the worms... some are better than others. There are some worms that are super thick, and stay on the hook perfectly.. there are other worms from some companies that are horrible, and fly off soon as you cast..

I always leave a little bit of the hook exposed.. this is better for when fish might just pick at the worm, and could get hooked. Sometimes they are picky. Lately I've been putting a gulp/power egg at the end of the hook to seal it off...so the worm cant slide off as easy,, plus it gives the set up some color in the water

03-19-2009, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
HUSF Staff

Badfish2 is
I'm going fishing this friday with some worms, I'll post up some pics from that day for you

03-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

RatherBeFishing is
: 141
like people have said, it really depends what you are fishing for. for a more natual presentation you could hook the worm through the sex collar with a single hook, like badfish said. i think this way is the way to go. people also hook worms on trebble hooks, i have heard that this works well for catfish but not so good for trout because crawlers aren't naturally balled up when they fall into the water and trout are somewhat picky

03-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Charter Member

Jay_In_SouthBay is
: 1,784
:
I go once through the middle.. then again about 1/4 inch up.. if that's not holding well.. (depends on who makes the worm) I go through the worm once, then slide it toward the top of the hook, and then wrap it around the shank of the hook a few times then hook once again.. I inflate them so I try not to do too much damage to the worm or it won't hold air
I think a fellow named God makes the worm....

03-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Charter Member

jeffcpr is
: 1,556
I hook them through the middle thread the worm up to the back of the hook and thin hook it one more time when the worm comes over the hook point again. I try to hid the hook point in the worm, but if they are coming off easy them I go all the way through.
I also fish with one rod soaking a worm good way to find the fish, problem for me is I cannot find the damn fish.

03-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

fishtaco is
: 10,122
On a bobbler put 2 on a hook 24 -30 inches down, 4 all species.
Single crawlers are better inflated, so they float from the bottom
rigg them with a small slidding egg on the main line,
a small swivel without clamp, and 4 # test as lider, small hook
trought the collar skin...

How to find them

after the rain ...
with a flash light at night
or punch a shovel in the ground and spring the handle
vibration should make them come out