Home Quicklinks UserCP New Posts Memberlist Calendar Videos Gallery Articles Logout

Go Back   California Fishing - Hookup Sportfishing > Podcasts, Articles and Reviews > Articles

Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools

MONO to FLUOROCARBON KNOT
07-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Walt is
: 3,243
MONO to FLUOROCARBON KNOT

Have been testing knots for some time now and thought I would present a knot that is the best I have found for joining mono to fluorocabon 40 lb and under. This knot will always break over the published rating of the line you are using. You will not find this Knot in any knot book or on any place else on the web. Its a result of much experimentation and testing.

It is a modified Seguar Knot. The diagram below shows the standard Seguar Knot, the drawing at the right is the necessary modification to the Seguar Knot. When tightening down pull the paired lines SLOWLEY and be sure the lines stay the same length at the knot. If a line gets long when tightening down , pull gently on each line until you find the correct line and pull on it gently to match with the other line. When almost cinched down grab the pairs of lines and pull down tight with a strong pull. Then test the standing lines with a strong pull.

A standard Seguar Knot will break around 70-80% of the line breaking strength , the Modified Seguar Knot wit break at 100% or over the Published line rating.
This knot is not pretty but it is strong.

You can test it against your present knot by tying the Modified Seguar on one end of a line and your present knot on the other end of the same line, put some safty glasses on and some gloves and pull on the ends of the line and see which one breaks first. If you do this and your knot wins please let me know. I will have to re-evaluate LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
MONO to FLUOROCARBON KNOT-seaguar-knot.jpg  

07-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

BeachBear is
: 5,670
Thanks Walt, as a matter of coincidence I was just looking for the Seagar knot today and saw some of the debate that came along with it.

07-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

spooky007 is
: 4,482
The seaguar is a good knot. Only thing I don't like is it's a little rough comming though the guides. Other then that, it has a great break strength!!

Al

07-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Walt is
Yes Spooky, thats correct.

The knot is on the large size and gets bigger with the modification. It is the one negative with this knot. I wrap my own rods and am particular to install a larger then average tip top guide. This reduces the hang up potential in your rod tip. Have not had any negative repercussions casting the knot through the guides. "NOT YET ANYWAY"

Walt

07-30-2007, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

sickboy is
: 78
Thanks for the info.

I just reported how i lost a fish because I tied a bad seaguar knott. I believe it was my fault because I never had one fail before. So I will revise my knotts with some practice.

Do you happen to have a diagram of the San Diego knott,? if so you pm me if you dont want your thread to go to a total knott discussion, and off your topic.
Thank you!

07-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

BeachBear is
:
Thanks for the info.

I just reported how i lost a fish because I tied a bad seaguar knott. I believe it was my fault because I never had one fail before. So I will revise my knotts with some practice.

Do you happen to have a diagram of the San Diego knott,? if so you pm me if you dont want your thread to go to a total knott discussion, and off your topic.
Thank you!
http://www.marlinnut.com/knots/sandiego.shtml

Here you go

07-31-2007, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Walt is
Sickboy,
Beachbear posted a great link for the San Diego Jam Knot in the above post.

A hint on the San Diego Jam, pull the wraps SNUG not Tight aginst the standing line by pulling on the tag end above the knot and the standing line just below the knot. The wraps should all pull up together and be all stacked up against each other nice and neat and look'n pretty, wet the knot then SLOWLEY slide the knot down to the hook eye. Then give a good strong pull on the knot , it should not break. The reason for pulling slowley is so you do not create excessive heat from the friction of the knot sliding on the line. It is an imortant concept with tying any knot, always wet the knot & tighten the knot down ***slowley*** .

On the Modified Seaguar Knot, try and keep the lines a parallel as possible when tying the knot. You will get some crossovers that you can not help, but making a consious effort to minimize them helps the strength of the knot.

Good luck
Walt

07-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

BeachBear is
Sorry to have hijacked. I read the first few lines of the knot, then went looking for it. Later on, I saw the PM part. Didn't want to offend, not everyone likes hijackers

07-31-2007, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Walt is
Hey BeachBear,
You did us all a great service, that link has lot'sa great Knot Diagrams and you saved me the task of finding a print of the knot and transfering it to a post. The link you posted was primo, a needed educational tool, thanks for the help.

Walt
Attached Images

07-31-2007, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

sickboy is
: 78
Thanks guys!

I always apreciate your help! would love to fish with you all, but I can only go on weekends so its tough finding an open party overnight, and will be doing more 1/2 days and 3/4 days not to much summer left so going as often as family and time permits.

08-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

BeachBear is
:
Hey BeachBear,
You did us all a great service, that link has lot'sa great Knot Diagrams and you saved me the task of finding a print of the knot and transfering it to a post. The link you posted was primo, a needed educational tool, thanks for the help.

Walt

Thanks, just didn't want to offend.

P.S. I think it's cool that you wrap your own rods and enlarging the tip top is a very wise choice.

09-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
cst
HUSF Staff

cst is
: 10,728
Nice knot. I learned out to tie this at the shop once but forgot it same day

the Uni to Uni has worked pretty good for me when doing mono to flouro but nowadays, i usually just fish spectra to flouro. Bob Sands Knot is the best for that.

09-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

spooky007 is
:
Nice knot. I learned out to tie this at the shop once but forgot it same day

the Uni to Uni has worked pretty good for me when doing mono to flouro but nowadays, i usually just fish spectra to flouro. Bob Sands Knot is the best for that.
That's probbaly why you lost the 316

09-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
cst
HUSF Staff

cst is
: 10,728
straight mono for all things swimbait. sorry you lose

09-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

spooky007 is
:
straight mono for all things swimbait. sorry you lose
Correction, you lost!! Doesn't a fish have your bait!!??